Monday, May 14, 2012

I've Been Doing Sew Much

I started taking sewing classes a few months ago. Finally! I've wanted to take sewing classes for years now; I've always wanted to bring my ideas to life. The classes really annoyed me at first. After a long, boring, long, annoying, and did I mention long? day of school, sewing was the last thing I wanted to do. On top of that, I'm sort of a perfectionist, and when you're learning something new, being a perfectionist really doesn't help. It took me forever to do everything! My slowness really annoyed me, and even though she has never really said anything about it, I'm pretty sure it annoyed my teacher too. Now that I have a little bit of experience and I've been practicing more at home, my sewing has gotten much better and faster. If I keep this up, I might be a pro (or something close to that) by the time I graduate. No, scratch that. I'm not going to be a pro at sewing by the time I graduate, not even close. If I keep this up, I'll be pretty good at it by the time I graduate.
Here are some sewing projects for beginners that I've completed so far:
  • Sewing Bag (large bag) and Notions Bag (small bag)


  •  The rope I bought was a little bit too big, so the bags are kind of hard to open. I spent my own money on both the fabric and the ropes though, so I don't plan on throwing the ropes out to buy new ones. I'm keeping both of these bags on my wall; they're the first things I've ever sewn from scratch, so I want to cherish them forever, and I don't want them to get messed up.

  • Shoulder Tie Purse

  • My inner-hippie made me immediately fall in love with the fabric on the outside of this purse. My teacher said I also had to get a contrasting fabric (it needed to match the outside of the purse in some way) to go on the inside. I couldn't find anything else, so that's where the tacky, inner-fabric came from. I'm waiting until summer vacation before I wear this bag because I think it'll look best with summer attire (swimsuits, shorts, sandals, etc.).

  • Cloth Napkin


  • I made this cloth napkin at home using the big ol' ugly roll of fabric my dad got from one of his construction job sites. I'm probably going to use this cheap, tablecloth-lookin' roll of fabric to sew like...everything I make at home. I'm too poor to buy any new fabric to mess around with! haha
-Diane <3

No comments:

Post a Comment